Amir Khan explains reasoning behind offer to lend four-storey building to NHS amid coronavirus pandemic

Amir Khan has offered to lend his four-storey building in Bolton to the NHS to help combat the coronavirus pandemic.

The boxer says the 60,000 square foot property will be able to fit up to 4,000 beds for victims of the virus.
GETTY
Amir Khan wants to help his community in Bolton

The deadly disease has infected more than half a million people worldwide, with the death toll exceeding 21,000.

And Bolton-born Khan wants to help his local community.

He told talkSPORT: “So basically I have a 60,000 square foot building which I’m going to make into a mall and also a banqueting hall for weddings and conferences. It’s in the town centre of Bolton.

“I decided before they start working on the inside, I don’t mind giving that to the NHS to say ‘look, come and use the building’.

That way it can help all the victims who have the coronavirus because I see and I’ve read that hospitals are now sending people away.

“There are a lot of people that need help. There are not enough beds, so I’m happy to give my building. You’ll get around 3,000, 4,000 beds in there that could help.”

Khan is hopeful of getting a positive verdict for his proposal soon.

He added: “My team is speaking to the local NHS and hopefully we will get a verdict in the next couple of days.
“But it’s gone out there that I’m willing to help. It started on my social media, my Twitter. I decided to send the message out to say I’d like to help and do my little bit.

“The reason I want to do this is because that way we keep the victims who have the virus in that one building, instead of it spreading out, because it’s easy to spread.

“Before it gets worse, let me at least help the community as much as I can.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 6 best photo-editing apps you need to download on your iPhone

Breaking: Sala's plane wreckage ‘found’ on French beach